Monday 2 May 2016

Pretty In Pink - May's Project

Hi all, where's the time gone again? Here we are in May. I haven't managed to do too much crafting since my last post due to ill health, but my mojo is coming back so you can expect more posts this month.

For this month's DT project for More Mixed Media Challenge our theme is Pink. I decided to use one of the mini canvases I bought from The Works at the end of last year that have been sat in a drawer. I've not ever worked on canvas before, being a paper based and altered pieces crafter normally, but challenging and pushing our boundaries is what art is all about. As it's a challenge based project I thought it would be ideal. Again, I don't generally use pink in many of my projects, but decided to go all out and I purchased some lovely Cosmic Shimmer Colour Cloud Blending Inks in Chic Magenta, Rose Blush and Barely Nude, as well as Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Wax in Blush.

I used Liquitex Heavy Gesso to prime my canvas, then used tissue paper to add texture whilst the gesso was still wet. Once dry, I found some acrylic paints which I mixed for the pink and green background, and they made a gorgeous purple colour where they blended together. I used Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Lost and Found papers torn into strips and layed horizontally across the canvas (clock faces) over the top and blended the colours over and around the papers so they weren't so stark on top. Using Viva Decor Stencilling Paste, and Crafters Workshop Circle Explosion stencil, I created some texture over the top to one side, and once dry, I used CS Blush gilding wax to add a subtle shimmer and hue. I used some rub-ons from my stash as well as Cornish Heritage Farms Time to Stamp set in Stazon Black Soot to add the clock and watch faces in the background. I used some Stickles to add some glittery bling to some of the circles and parts of the larger clock face. I found a pocket watch and some little rosebuds in my stash and added these as my focal point. Then using my Martha Stewart 3 in 1 stamp and punch set, I stamped the birds in CS Chic Magenta and Rose Blush and the last layer in Stazon Black Soot. These were then cut out using the punch and added to the piece on and to the side of the pocket watch. The title and quote is from the Cornish Heritage Farms Time to Stamp set, which I stamped on Centura Pearl cardstock, cut around and inked with CS Rose Blush before adding to the canvas. Finally, I drew around the quote with my Faber-Castell PITT Artist pen in Black to emphasise it.

I hope you enjoy my first foray into the world of canvas art. I certainly enjoyed the process and learnt a lot along the way. I feel that I shall be more confident and experimental as I go forward with future projects - the first one is always the hardest in anything we do.

Please do pop along to the More Mixed Media Challenge blog for this month's challenge - I look forward to seeing what you do for this colour theme.

My next project will be still on the Pink theme using some of Lozzy's wonderful digital papers, so do watch this space.

Until next time, have fun and keep crafting,

Michelle xxx

6 comments:

  1. I love this canvas I love all the texture you have created... Thant time piece is awesome that you have used as well, I love this canvas... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece of art Michelle! Thanks for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful canvas, thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Mojo

    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous canvas with us at Mixed Media Mojo, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and showing some love.